Nature has blessed Pakistan with an ideal climate for growing a large variety of fruits, most notably Mango, Citrus, Guava, Apple, etc. Unfortunately, production of fruits in Pakistan has often not been accompanied by better post-harvest management and appropriate modernization of the processing techniques. It has been observed that demand of value added fruit products, especially pulps, has increased tremendously due to its use as raw material for juices, ice cream, fruit yogurts and other similar items in both local and international markets.
Pakistan is the 5th largest fresh mango exporter of the world and has huge demand in the international market due to rich flavor, aroma, and health value, i.e., nutrients and minerals contents. However, we are nowhere in the export of mango pulp that has huge exporting potentials. Similarly, fruit juices and beverages industry is recognized as the leading industries, which also requires adequate supply of fruit pulp from the local market. Additionally, in order to cater for the demand of local super store / international markets our fruit processors requires modern processing facilities.
Due to stated reasons, the grading and pulping of fresh fruits is a commercially viable business option for investors. Accordingly, this particular project is related to setting-up a modernly equipped ‘Pulping and Grading Unit’ especially for Mango and Guava fruits that has huge market potentials at both local and international market levels. According to the proposed business model, fresh fruits will be purchased directly from farmers or distributors, pulping and grading will be carried out and finished good which will be sold both in local and international markets.
The major scope of processing activities will include post-harvest handling, pre-cooling, grading, ripening, pulping, packing and logistics. For that purpose fully automatic imported machinery / plant comprising of Washing, Sorting / Grading, Pulping and Packing facilities will be installed. It is recommended to acquire Swiss or Italian technology, which is more durable and reliable.
This particular article is for setting up a fruit pulping & grading unit mainly for mango and guava. The proposed unit is a large size business venture and assumed to be located in the cities nearby to Mango and Guava producing areas, such as Multan, Rahim Yar Khan, Mirpur Khas, Lahore or Karachi where basic infrastructure is available for easy transportation of raw material and finished goods. The finished product is pulp of Mango and Guava (i.e. used as basic raw material for juices, ice creams and other value added fruit products) along with graded fruits to high-end super store.
The unit will have the installed capacity of producing 3,600 tons of Mango Pulp and 1,800 tons of Guava per year on seasonal basis Pulp. Similarly, installed capacity for Fruit Grading will be 6,000 tons per year. Initial operational capacity is assumed at 60% for both fruit pulping and grading while maximum operational capacity utilization is considered as 100%. This production capacity is estimated to be economically viable and justifies the huge capital as well as operational costs of the project. However, complete adherence to best agronomic practices is critical to the success of this project. Therefore, technical knowledge and experience of the entrepreneur is absolutely necessary. The entrepreneur will establish the proposed unit on purchased land along with carrying out the necessary civil works.
The total estimated cost for setting up the proposed Fruit Pulping and Grading unit is Rs. 714.91 Million with fixed investment of Rs. 645.91 million and working capital Rs. 69.00 million. The project NPV is around Rs. 848.44 million, with an IRR of 32% and Payback Period of 3.94 years. The project will provide employment opportunities to 36 people.
Operational Capacity of Pulp Juice Factory
The proposed Fruit Pulping and Grading Unit has a maximum capacity of producing 3,600 tons of Mango Pulp and 1,800 tons of Guava Pulp along with Grading of 6,000 tons annually. As the fruits (i.e. Mango and Guava) are seasonal commodities, therefore, pulping and grading of fruits will be done on seasonal basis. Capacity utilization during first year of operation is assumed at 60% with an annual growth rate of 10% up to maximum level of 100% capacity utilization in 5 th year of operation. This production capacity is estimated to be economically viable and justifies the capital as well as operational costs of the project.
Factors for Success of Pulp Juice Factory in Pakistan
- Complete adherence to best agronomic practices is critical to the success of pulp juice factory in Pakistan, therefore, technical knowledge & experience of the entrepreneur in the field of horticulture and in fresh fruit processing business is absolutely necessary.
- Awareness about HACCP standards and Strict Quality assurance of process and products.
- Selection of quality fruits on the basis of best analysis of cost and revenues for a given season; cost efficiency through better management.
- Appropriate post-harvest arrangement for transportation of product to the processing unit.
- Appropriate storage arrangement and internal control for processed fruits; cold chain refer container arrangements for transportation to local and international markets.
- Properly trained seed staff should be engaged and comprehensive staff training programs to be adopted for capacity building.
- Processing contract with farmers and traders for value added business opportunities.
- Careful selection of good location and purchase of land at competitive price.
- Effective marketing and distribution of the product particularly to the exporters, industrial units and super store buyers
The unit can be installed anywhere in Pakistan where the raw materials (fresh fruits i.e. Mango and Guava) are easily accessible. But the most appropriate area for setting-up Fruits Pulping and Grading Unit are the areas where the raw material, mango, and guava are in abundance and it will also minimize the transportation cost. As per current agricultural practices, major mango orchards are in South Punjab and Rural Sindh, while orchards of guava are mainly in upper Punjab, Hyderabad, Larkana, Moro, Haripur, Kohat and Bannu. Therefore, following urban areas could be the most appropriate locations for the pulp juice factory in Pakistan.
The proposed unit will produce pulp and graded fruit of Mango and Guava. Both of these products are not directly catered to general consumers but target the industrial consumers. For instance pulp is used as basic raw material for production of juices, ice creams, frozen desserts, flavored yogurts, jelly, jams and many others. Accordingly, the main buyers of fruit pulp will be manufacturing concerns of stated value added fruit products and fruit juice producers both in local and international markets. On the other hand, major buyers of graded fruits are either export markets or local super / departmental stores of big cities. The main export markets for Pakistani processed fruits / pulp are USA, Europe, Middle East, Far East, Canada, Russia and Sri Lanka.
Space Requirements for Pulp Juice Factory in Pakistan
Approximately 5 acres of land would be required for establishment of proposed unit, it is recommended that required land should be procured in the industrial estates of identified potential cities. The cost of land is estimated at a rate of Rs. 7.5 million per acre; hence total cost of required land is Rs. 37.50 million.
Fruit Pulp Juice Machinery & Equipment in Pakistan
Fruit Pulping Plant Machinery
- Fresh fruit treatment composed by Inoxall 10b with belt conveyor on bottom, water recycling/filtering group, sorting line selinox roller type, accessories
- Fruit puree extraction, treatment and aseptic line
- Brusher mod. 10b with bypass with feeding elevator
- Maxi mango destoner
- Chopper 4p for guava treatment complete with dosing group
- Heating group composed by tank 1000, mono-screw pump, scrape surface pre-heater 5000
- Pulping/refining group composed by 2-stages pulper / refiner super bi-creamer with bin brl 300 and mono-screw pump extraction pump
- Buffer mixing tank 5.000 complete with extraction mono-screw
- Aseptic treatment group composed by de-aerator 6/5000/s/ra and tubular sterilizer sttc 5000
- Heads aseptic filler gemina
- Electric panel with PLC
- Cleaning of the plant including n°2 centrifugal pumps
- Waste elimination system including a set of screw conveyor
The above Pulping Plant is selected because it is already successfully running in Agro-Food Processing Facilities (AFP), Multan. AFP the first ever fruits pulping & processing plant in public sector installed by the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Authority (SMEDA) as a common facility centre for SMEs with the government investment.
The pulping plant installed by Bertuzi Food Processing, Italy, having a capacity of processing 10 tons of Mangoes and 5 tons of guava in an hour, has created a great value addition facility for the small and medium growers of fruits and vegetables in the country. As per an estimate of Agriculture Department, 30 per cent production of the fruits and vegetables in the country is wasted due to lack of processing facilities, which may now be avoided through the AFP. The plant offers equal facilities for processing and apart from processing, grading and packing facilities for fresh fruits and vegetables, a consultancy service has also been made available at the plant for growers to have information on the latest food processing techniques and technology
Fruit Grading and Packaging Line Machinery
- Feeder for fruit feeding
- Brush washer for rotating brushed for cleaning of the fruit
- Drying for drying with foam rollers then with hot air
- Waxing for wax application by spraying
- Drying for the drying of applied wax using air
- Roller sorter for sorting of damaged and bruised fruit
- Grader (Sizer)
Utilities Machinery and Equipment
- Smoke tube packaged boiler, 3-4 ton/hr x 10kg cm2 dual burner (gas & heavy oil)
- Water treatment plant (Water Softner) to convert hard water in soft water by Zeoliteion exchange process. The required degree of hardness after treatment is 0.
- Belt conveyor to Convey fruit @ 10 ton/hr from sorting area to washing unit, Length 18m, Width 0.9m; belt made in reinforced rubber 2 ply belt thickness 2mm. Drive should be geared with starter and safety interlocking system supporting structure in MS
- Stainless steel tanks with agitators 1500 L & 2500 L
- Generator 250KVA Turbo Type, 250KVA, 400 Volts, 50 Cycles, 1500 RPM, Power Factor 0.8
- Water chiller
- Centrifugal pump with capacity of 12,000 – 15,000 Ltr/hr
- Monix pump with capacity of 10,000 – 12,000 Ltr/hr
- CIP system set of 04 SS tanks of 500L each, heat exchange system, pumps and valves for water, steam & air
- Piping, and valves for water, steam and air
- Fuel tank for generator
- Industrial fans
- Storage tank for air. 1000 Ltr MS tank
- Waste screw conveyor
- Fork lift truck. Battery operated with solid rubber tires, capacity 2.5 tons, fork length 4 ft, stacking height 12 ft
- Waste hopper bin, MS sheet hopper with the stand. Bottom height 12 ft, bottom opening gate 2x 2 ft with hydraulic controlled opening. 10-12 tons holding of solid waste of fruit processing
- Air compressor with dryer and filer oil free screw type capacity 08 bar consumption 300-350 ltr/min.
- SS Vat 3 mm sheet of SS 316 L. Food grade double jacketed with the option of steam and water circulation. Foldable lid of 316 L SS sheet and a channel stand for the vat. A screw type mixer at the bottom.
- Weigh bridge 30 x 10 feet size, 60 tons capacity
- Cooling tower
- Effluent water treatment plant
Laboratory Equipment – Microbiological Lab
- Water bath 6-8 holes with adjustable temperature
- Spirit lamp burner with stand and stainless steel tongs
- Oven incubator with 3-5 shelves
- Electric autoclave with temperature range of 125-135 C
- Colony counter with adjustable magnifying glass
- Microscope 4, 10, 40 and 100X binocular
- Lab ware Autoclavable and non autoclavable
- Different types of medias
- Incubator 3-5 shelves, temp range 10 – 60 C
- Laminar air flow cabinet
Laboratory Equipment – Analytical Lab
- Weigh balance 0.1g readability and capacity of 600-1200g
- PH meter bench type with PH and temperature probes
- Conductivity meter, portable with multiple probe including conductivity / TDS / salt and temperature
- Viscometer spindle type
- Viscometer time / flow type
- Centrifuge general purpose variable speed with 15ml conical test tubes
- Refractometer hand type 0-32 brix and 0-53 brix
- Refractometer Abbe’s 0-95 brix
- Thermometer digital probe type with wide temperature range
- Magnifying glass, general purpose
- Hot plate type magnet stirrer
- Digital auto burette
- Glass ware