In the previous four years, Benazir Income Support Program (BISP) has performed very well & that happened because of PML-N’s government and specially because of the supreme leadership of Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif. This program has really helped the poor & deserving people of Pakistan who don’t have any source of income.
The budget of BISP was PKR 70 billion for the year 2013 and now it has been raised to PKR 121 billion for the year 2017. The quarterly support fund for each individual was PKR 3,000 which has been raised to PKR 4,834. Because of the transparency of the PML-N government, this program has gained popularity in the international social communities & NGOs.
3.78 million deserving Pakistanis benefited from this program in 2013 and the number has now grown to 5.46 million. PML-N has also played an important role in getting the service charges reduced to 2.75% from 4%, which is translating in saving billions of rupees for the Pakistan government. Following are the statistics for each region where BISP operates:
- 9,537 deserving people benefit from BISP in Islamabad
- 1,950,436 deserving people benefit from BISP in Sindh
- 235,759 deserving people benefit from BISP in Baluchistan
- 159,047 deserving people benefit from BISP in FATA
- 2,022,831 deserving people benefit from BISP in Punjab
- 104, 533 deserving people benefit from BISP in Azad Kashmir
Inclusion of poor people to benefit from this facilitation program has been a challenge but PML-N government has done some remarkable improvements to help the real needy people. 5.4 million poor women of Pakistan have been enrolled in the program & with transparency mechanisms like bio-metric authentication, PML-N government has ensured BISP money distribution through Pakistan POST, Smart Cards & Benazir Debit Cards. The income support program’s achievements in current government can be witnessed by the following international doner agency supports:
- World Bank has promised USD $100 million to support BISP till the year 2020
- DFID has promised USD $130 million to support BISP till the year 2020
- Asian Development Bank has promised USD $129 million to support BISP till the year 2018
Under the supervision of PML-N government, Benazir Income Support Program is performing really well & it actually is helping the country to tackle poverty. We hope the government continues to make such strong financial impacts over the nation and show our strong hope to have PML-N as the governing body for this organization in the years to come.
More detailed statistics of BISP can be read in the Urdu column of Marvi Memon below: