Official passports in Pakistan are issued to Government servants or the members of their family or their dependents, as long as they are wholly dependent, may not be withdrawn after performance of the specific duty for which they were issued or after termination of their service or on retirement. After retirement or termination of service of a Government servant he and the members of his family and his dependents may be allowed to use such passports for private visits abroad. However, fee for renewals, additions, alteration etc. shall be charged.
When a person is no longer in Government service, he should be required to get his ‘profession’ amended in his passport. To ensure this, free passports to Government servants should bear the following remarks:
- “To be produced on retirement or termination of service to the nearest issuing authority for amendment in the passport”.
Fee may be charged for issuance of passports in lieu of the gratis passports that are issued in place of diplomatic passports.
Who Can Apply for an Official Passport in Pakistan
Official passport can be issued to the following categories of persons:-
- Members of the National Assembly and Member of the Senate; their spouses, parents and dependent, un married children up to 28 years of age.
- Wafaqi Mohtasib, Judges of the Supreme Court, High Courts and Shariat Court, Chief Election Commissioner, Auditor General of Pakistan, Chairman, FPSC, Chairman FST, Members Election Commission of Pakistan*, their spouses and dependent un-married children upto 28* years of age.
- Provincial Ministers and Advisers to the Provincial Governments with the status of Provincial Minister / Speakers / Deputy Speakers of the Provincial Assemblies.
- Former elected Federal Ministers / Ministers of State and their spouses.
- Speaker’s of the Provincial Assemblies, their spouses and dependent un-married children up to 28 years of age.
- Retired Chairman Joint Chief of Staff Committee and all three Services Chiefs (four star Generals) including their spouses and dependent un-married children up to 28 years of age.
- Federal Secretaries and Officers in BPS-22, Additional Secretaries, Senior Joint Secretaries, Chief Secretaries of the Provinces, BPS-21 officers of APUG being eligible for posting as Additional Secretary in the Federal Government, officers of Armed Forces of equivalent ranks and their spouses.
- Dependent un-married children up to 28 years of age of Federal Secretaries.
- Joint Secretaries of the Ministries / Divisions and Provincial Secretaries (in BPS-20 and above).
- Retired Federal Secretaries, Chief Secretaries of the provinces, Officers of the Armed Forces of equivalent rank and their spouses.
- All Government Servants including Career Ambassadors, who retire in BPS-22 and their spouses.
- Deputy Secretaries (B-19) of the Interior Division.
- Civil Servants and Armed Forces personnel residing in Pakistan and proceeding abroad on posting, secondment or on deputation with a foreign Government, the ECO or the UNO or its affiliated Organizations. Also their spouses and dependent un-married children up to 28 years of age accompanying or joining them. However, unmarried dependent daughters may be allowed official / gratis passport irrespective of age limit. Dependent parents may be issued official passports on payment of prescribed passport fee.
- Civil servants and Armed Forces personnel proceeding on official business, on training courses, study tours or to attend seminars.
- Officers employed in BPS-20 and above on contractual obligations, with the Federal / Provincial Governments, while proceeding on official business. The validity of passports shall be restricted to the period of their contract.
- Ex-Governors of the Provinces.
- Members of the Islamic Ideology Council.
- District Nazim while proceeding aboard as a member of an official delegation / entourage with validity for two years or till their tenure which ever is earlier.
- (Retired) Judges of the Supreme Court and their spouses. Provided that the validity of passports issued be restricted to the period of the posting / secondment or deputation and for all countries of the world except Israel. Provided further that passports of full validity will be issued to officers of BPS-20 and above and restricted passports of at least 3 years to others.
- Officers of the Senate and National Assembly in B-17 and above proceeding abroad on official visit for the period of their visit abroad and entitled for issuance of Official / Gratis passport.
- Minister for Interior, spouse and dependent un-married children up to 28 years of age for life.
- Secretary Interior, spouse and dependent un-married children up to 28 years of age for life.
- Minister of State for Interior, spouse and dependent un-married children up to 28 years of age for life.
- Director General, Directors of Immigration & Passports.