The Pakistan Standards and Quality Control Authority (PSQCA), under the Ministry of Science and Technology (Government of Pakistan), is an authority to provide for the national standardization and quality control services. PSQCA is governed by the PSQCA Act No. VI of 1996 (Act).
License means a license granted under this Act to use Pakistan Standard and Quality mark in relation to any article, product or process which conforms to the relevant Pakistan Standard. As per the Act items notified in the official gazette under Certification are required to put the PS Mark of Quality on the Certificates issued in conformity to Pakistan Standards. The manufacture, keeping in stock and sale of items fall under Certification Marks Scheme/without C.M. License is prohibited. So every item falling under Certification should have the below mark on it:
Below is the list of manufacturers having valid CM License:
- AC Watt hour meters PSS# 60521
- Asbestos Cement Building and Sanitary Pipes PSS# 429
- Asbestos Cement Corrugated for roofing & cladding PSS# 1653
- Asbestos Cement pipe fitting for building and sanitary purposes PSS# 2035
- Asbestos Cement pressure pipes PSS# 428
- Asbestos Flat Sheets PSS# 579
- Apple Juice PS# 1738 – 2000
- Balanced Feed Mixture for Live Stock PSS# 234
- Ballast for Tubular Fluorescent Lamp – Performance Requirements PSS# 497
- Banaspati PSS# 221
- Biscuits (Excluding Wafer Biscuits) PSS# 383
- Butter PS# 1831 – 1997
- Carbonated Beverages PSS# 1654
- Bottled Drinking Water PSS# 4639
- Cold Worked Steel Deformed Bars for the Reinforcement of Concrete PSS# 1612
- Cooking Oil (Blended) PSS# 2858
- Cotton Seed Oil Cake Expeller Type PSS# 96
- Chilly Powder PS# 1742 – 1997
- Concentrated Fruit Juice PS# 527 – 1992
- Condensed Milk PS# 364 – 1991
- Curry Powder PS# 1741 – 1997
- Deformed & Plain Billet Steel Bars PSS# 1879
- Discharge Lamps/Compact Fluorescent Lamps (H.S.Code 8539,3200,8539,3910 & 8539, 3990) PS/IEC# 60968 & PS/IEC# 60969
- Edible Sesame Seed Oil PSS# 98
- Food for Infants and Children PS# 1688 – 1985
- Flavored Milk PS# 3189 – 1992
- Fruit Squash PS# 506 – 1997
- Gas Appliances-General Requirements PSS# 4860
- Gas Applied fired Room Heater-Vented PSS# 4859
- Gas Cooking Range PSS# 4857
- Gas Cooking Stoves PSS# 1560
- Gas Fired Radiant Room Heaters un-vented & semi-vented type PSS# 3656
- Gas Water Heaters PSS# 4858
- Honey PS# 1934 – 2007
- Iodized Salt PSS# 1669
- Jams ( Fruit preserve ) & Jellies PS# 2096 – 1989
- Lead Acid Batteries (for Motorcycles) PSS# 4082
- Lead Acid Starter Batteries (for motorcar) PSS#206
- Margarine PSS# 1653
- Mayonnaise PS# 3947 – 1997
- Marmalade PS# 514 – 1985
- Milk Powder (whole and Skim) PS# 363 – 1991
- Methods for measuring the performance of electric kettles, jugs for house holds and similar purposes PSS# 253
- Methods for measuring the performance of Electric Toasters for house hold and similar purposes PSS# 661
- Mild Steel Bars PSS#231
- Mild Steel Oil Pressure Utility Stoves PSS# 797
- Natural Mineral Water PSS# 2102
- Non-Pressure Oil Stoves PSS# 928
- Oil Pressure Stoves Brass Type PSS# 682
- Orange Juice PS# 1738 – 2000
- Palm oil (Edible grade for cooking purposes) PSS# 1561
- Pickets PS# 520 – 1999
- Polypropylene Woven Sacks for Packing (Sugar) PSS# 3128
- Portland Blast Furnace Cement not Exceeding 65% blast furnace slag PSS# 1631
- Portland Cement PSS# 232
- Poultry Feeds PSS# 233
- PVC Insulated Cables (Non Armored) for Electric Power & Lighting PSS# 714
- PVC Pressure Pipes for Cold Potable Water PSS# 3051
- Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine PSS# 1806
- Refined Coconut Oil PSS# 99
- Refined Cotton Seed Oil PSS# 21
- Refined Maize Corn Oil PSS# 1562
- Refined Mustard Oil PSS# 25
- Refined Soya bean Oil PSS# 1563
- Refined Sunflower Oil PSS#1564
- Refine Sugar & White Sugar PS# 1822 – 2007
- Safety Razor Blades (double edge) PSS# 219
- Single & Twin Blade Plastic bounded Disposable Razors PSS# 2002
- Sulfate Resisting Portland Cement PSS# 612
- Synthetic Vinegar PS## 3602 – 1994
- Tea Black PS# 493 – 2000
- Three Wheeler Auto Vehicles PSS# 4708
- Tubular Fluorescent Lamp PSS# 292
- Tungsten Flaments Lamps for General Services PS# 17
- Induction Motors PS/IEC # 60034 Part I to IV
- Two Wheeler Auto Vehicles PS# 4707
- Turmeric(Ground & Powdered) PS# 1820 – 2000
- Wafers Biscuits PS# 614
- Tooth Paste PS# 1721
- Toilet Soap PS# 13
- Shampoo PS# 3509
- Synthetic Detergent Powder for General Purpose PS# 4986
- Powder Hair Dyes PS# 4079-1998
- Oxidation Hair Dye Liquid PS# 5250-2013
- Structural Steel PS# 4798
- Tin Plate PSS# 4773-2002 (466-2001 ISO 11949-1995)
- Urea(Prilled and Granular) PS# 217-2009 amended 2011
- Di-Ammonium Phosphate (DAP) PS# 3517
- Single Super Phosphate PS# 67
- Triple Super Phosphate PS# 216
- White Portland Cement PS# 1630
- Masonry Cement PS# 5314
- Internal Combustion Engine Lubricating Oil PS# 343
- Flexible Polyurethane foam for domestic mattresses PS# 3087
- Motorcycle Tyre & rims (Code designated series) PS# ISO 4249-1
- Enamel paint interior (Finishing Color) PS# 617
- Enamel paint exterior (Finishing Color) PS# 616
- Paints for vehicles PS# 396
- Bio Orgno Phosphate (BOP) PS# 5295
- Polypropylene woven sacks for packing (Fertilizers) PS# 2958
- Stainless Steel for general purpose Part – 1 Corrosion-resistant flat products PS-ISO# 16143 Part 1,2 & 3
- Bullets for the production of bars (plain & deformed for concrete reinforcement PS# 2337
- Steel wire rod PS# 16124
- Truck and Bus Tyre and Rims (Metric Series) Part-I Tyre PS-ISO# 4209-1
- Ready Mixed Paint brushing, finishing, semi gloss for general purpose PS# 402
- Household refrigerating appliances – Characteristics and test methods PS-IEC# 62552
- Polypropylene Woven Laminated hermetically sealed block bottom valve sacks for packing cement PS# 4877
- Packaged Liquid Milk PS# 5344 – 2016
Procedure to Get Pakistan Standards & Quality Control License
- To obtain license application should be submitted, accompanying a cross cheque of Rs.1000/= payable to the Director, SDC/PSQCA as an application fee for each article, either to the SDC office at 39-Garden Road, Saddar, Karachi or SDC Regional Office at Provisional Head Quarters.
- The receipt of the application shall be duly acknowledged by the SDC Certification Marks Division.
- The application when received from the manufacturers shall be given a Registration number after making necessary entry in the register maintained for the purpose.
- The Certification Marks Division of SDC then prepare an Inspection Schedule and send an Inspector with a copy of Application Form-1 to the factory concerned for inspection and report
Preliminary Inspection by PSQC Authority
- Verify the statement made in application.
- Verify the laboratory facilities available for the quality test relating to the relevant article/process.
- Verify the test records of routine test and inspection if laboratory facilities existing. In the absence of testing facilities what are the alternate arrangements available for the control of the quality of the product.
- Check up the quality of an article at various stages starting from raw material, during processing, at the stage of final finish of the article.
- Carry out tests within the factory to examine the capability of the manufacturing unit if they are in a position to meet the quality control requirements.
- Draw random samples of the raw materials, intermediate, semi finished and finished product for tests in the independent laboratories to examine the effectiveness of the quality control process of the manufacturing unit. In case if their quality control process found not effective then technical guidance is provided to improve it.
Periodical Inspections by PSQCA
SDC in addition to preliminary inspection shall also arrange at least two periodical inspections of each license, besides taking random samples from open market, go downs or otherwise for continuous checking the quality of the product whether it may be sold in the open market or manufactured within the factory. By these checks SDC ensures that the manufacturer may establish a set up quality control system for the production of quality end products.
Sampling Procedure for Pakistan Standards & Quality Control License
The random samples shall consist of three sets. The first Set bearing the seal of the Inspector should be left with the manufacturing unit and second set also bearing Inspector seal shall be sent by the manufacturing units for tests to independent Laboratories as directed by the Inspector. The third set bearing the seals of both the manufacturer and the Inspector shall constitute the reference sample to be used in case of dispute and shall be under the custody of SDC.
The laboratory shall be required to test the samples as per test sheet prepared by SDC. For this purpose laboratories are also working under Quality Control Centre (QCC) of PSQCA. The Head Office and main laboratories of this Centre are located at Karachi with Branch Offices at Lahore, Peshawar and Quetta. The laboratory concerned shall furnish the test report in test sheet within the specified date. SDC shall retain one copy of the test report with them and send one copy of the report to the manufacturer for information and in case sample fails to meet the requirement of relevant PSS, for rectifying the defect. The laboratories shall under intimation to the SDC send their bill of testing fee to the manufacturer concerned who shall be required to make the necessary payment of testing fee to the laboratories concerned.
- Testing fee per test will be Rs 1500/- except where indicated or where complete testing is not required.
- Full Testing fee will be charged for sample submitted for re testing.
- The charges will be doubled for urgent reporting.
- The testing charges for samples not included in the above schedule will be at the discretion of the Director/Incharge of the Center.
- The tariff will be provided at the time of submission of sample and will depend on the nature number of tests etc.
- The payment on account of testing fee will be accepted in advance through pay orders from authorized Bank. The Director/Incharge of the Centre could, however, permit testing of samples against bill or cash payment in rare and urgent cases.
- The samples for testing are also provided by SDC for items under Compulsory Certification Marks Scheme and charges for these are paid by the industries from where these samples are periodically picked up by Field Officers of SDC for quality control.
Grant of C.M. License
On the recommendations of director, SDC shall issue C.M. License after having satisfied itself with inspection and test reports from laboratory. When the license is granted to a manufacturing unit, it shall be held responsible for proper use of the Certification Marks.
PSQCA License Fees
- Licensees will be required to pay annual license fee at the rate of Rs. 5000 /= per year per license.
- Licensees are required to mark their products with PS Standard Mark as a token that product conforms to the relevant PSS. The licensee is also required to pay nominal marking fee on the quantum of annual production value.
A licensed manufacturer should display relevant Pakistan Standards number and the mark on the packing. No person shall use authority mark except under a license issued from PSQCA. Any person contravening the provisions of authority under various sections could be punished by imprisonment to one year or fine of Rs. 50,000/- or both.