At least 12 girls’ schools were attacked in Chilas, about 130 kilometers from Gilgit late Thursday night on 2nd August 2018. Unidentified men attacked 12 girls’ schools across Diamer district and damaged school property, according to the police. The attackers also torched some items in the schools, sources continued.
“Explosions were also set off in two schools,” they said.
Police have started a search operation in the area to arrest those responsible. According to the district administration, the schools that were attacked were under-construction. Officials added that they will ensure adequate measures are taken to safeguard schools and students.
Following the attacks, local residents staged a protest at Siddique Akbar Chowk demanding the arrest of culprits and seeking safety for educational institutes.
The schools, which are spread across Diamer, were identified as:
- Girls Primary School located in Ronay, Chilas
- Girls School Takya
- Social Action Programme (SAP) Primary School in Hudur area
- Army Public School, Darel Tehsil
- Primary School in Tabor village of Darel Valley,
- SAP Primary School in Tabor, Darel
- APS in Tangir Valley (adjacent to Diamer, sharing borders with Kohistan district of KP)
- Girls Primary School Sheegay Manikal, Darel Valley
- Girls Primary School Galee Bala, Tangir Valley
- Primary School Galee Bala, Tangir Valley
- Girls Primary School Khanbary
- Girls Primary School Gyal Village
This is not the first time girls’ schools have been targeted in Northern Pakistan. They are often the target of attack in the northern areas of Pakistan.