The West Pakistan Foodstuffs (Control) Act, 1958 (hereinafter referred as “the Act”) is a law which gives powers to the Government to control of supply, distribution, storage, movement transport, and other matters relating to foodstuffs.
Foodstuffs mean any of the following classes of commodities:
- Wheat, atta, maida, rawa and suji
- Rice and paddy
Establishing a Flour Mill in Pakistan
To obtaining license applicant have to undertake on the application Form that he agrees to abide the conditions of license. If any applicant carries on such business or intends to carry on such business in more than one district he shall apply to the District Magistrate of the district in which he usually resides. A single application may include a request to carry on business in a number of districts. On receipt of application and on payment of a license fee of Rs. 10 for one district and Rs. 2 for each subsequent district the licensing authority shall issue license.
Requirements to Setup a Flour Mill in Pakistan
Flour Mills are also required to comply with the Flour Mills (Control) Order, 1959 (hereinafter referred as “the Order, 1959) which order is made by the Government in exercise of the powers conferred by the West Pakistan Foodstuffs (Control) Act, 1958.
Clause 3 of the said order, 1959 requires that no producer shall manufacture wheat products out of foodgrains other than wholesome and healthy wheat containing by way of admixture more than ten per cent by weight of barley and more than two percent by weight of foodgrains other than barley. The said Order, 1959 gives the following powers to the Controller: –
The Controller may from time to time direct the producers/flour mills owners generally or any producer in particular:
- To produce or purchase wheat from such sources or such places or areas as may be specified
- To manufacture such wheat products or to limit the manufacture thereof such quantities or not varieties to manufacture such wheat products as may be specified.
- To supply such wheat products to such area market, person or class of persons or organization in such quantities and in such manner as may be specified.
- To charge for cleaning or milling of wheat at such rates as may be specified
- Generally to regulate production, sale and delivery of wheat product.
- The “Controller” or Government or any person authorized by the Controller or Government on this behalf may require any producer/flour mill owner to mechanically clean or mill wheat and every such producer shall, notwithstanding any existing agreement with any other person promptly comply with such requisition.
The Controller may apply or caused to be applied such tests as he may consider necessary to satisfy himself that:
- The wheat used for milling and the wheat products manufactured in the mill are clean, wholesome and fit for human consumption
- The processes employed in the flour mill are clean and hygienic
- The producer is maintaining reasonable standard of cleanliness in the flour mill, appurtenant building and godowns
- The Controller or any person authorised by Government or the Controller in this behalf may, at any time, enter the premises of any flour mill including its godowns and building appurtenant thereto the godowns or other places where wheat required for milling or wheat product manufactured in such flour mill are stocked. Every producer or person incharge of a flour mill including its godowns and building as aforesaid shall allow the Controller or other authorised person making the demand, access to such flour mill, buildings, godowns and places and shall answer all questions truthfully and to the best of his knowledge.
List of Licenses Required to Start a Flour Mill in Pakistan
- The Deputy Director Food
- The Assistant Director Food
- The District Food Controller
- The Rationing Controller within their respective jurisdiction
- The Naib-Tehsildar Supplies, Gowadar (for tehsil of Gowadar and Jiwani)
- The Naib-Tehsildar Supplies, Pasni Tehsil
- The Naib-Tehsildar Supplies, Turbat (for Tehsil of Turbat and Panjgur)
- The Naib-Tehsildar Supplies, Nuski (for Chagai District)
- The Food Controller, Kalat (for Kharan District)
- The Naib-Tehsildar Supplies Fortsandeman (for Zhob)
- The Naib-Tehsildar Sibi (for District of Sibi and Tehsil of Dhadar, Kalat District)
- The Lehri Bhag in the Kalat District
- The Naib-Tehsildar Sibi (for District of Sibi and Tehsil of Dhadar, Lehri Bhag in the kalat District)
- The Naib-Tehsildar Loralai (for Loralai District)
and any other officer so designated by the Provincial Government for this purpose.
Requirements for Flour Mill License Application in Pakistan
- Applicant’s name.
- Applicant’s profession.
- Applicant’s residence.
- Situation of applicant’s place(s) of business with full particulars regarding the number of house or premises, which he wants to get this licence.
- Place (s) of storage.
- How long has the applicant been trading in foodgrains
- Quantities of foodgrains handled annual during the past three years.
- List of foodgrains in respect of which licence is required.