Chambers are committed to make effective contributions to the nation’s economic development through the promotion of trade and industry in the various sectors of our economy. Chamber of Commerce & Industry acts as a two-way channel of communication between business and community. It plays an important role in policy formulation by maintaining a constant interaction with the relevant authorities. A Chamber of Commerce and Industry provides a wide array of services to its members. Entrepreneurs in almost all the major cities and industrial clusters have established a liaison with Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
The chamber is generally composed of an Executive Committee, which is headed by a President, Senior Vice President and Vice President as office bearers. The Executive Committee members are elected through annual elections for a 2-year term to work for the betterment of the business community on an honorary basis. The day today administration and work is looked after by a full time employed Executive Head known as the “Secretary”, who is assisted by a fully qualified staff.
Here, we’re going to explain how to get registered & become a member of chamber of commerce in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Sialkot and other cities of Pakistan.
Classes of Membership of Chamber of Commerce in Pakistan
There are two classes of memberships in almost every Chamber of Commerce and Industry
A member of Chamber of Commerce and Industry which is either a body corporate or a multinational corporation with its head office or branch office in Pakistan having an annual turnover of Rs.50 million or above or a sales tax registered concern having an annual turnover of Rs. 50 million or above.
A member of Chamber of Commerce and Industry with its head/branch office in Pakistan which is not a body corporate having an annual turnover of Rs. 50 million or below.
Chamber of Commerce Membership Procedure
Eligibility for Membership
- The applicant is a sole proprietorship or a partnership firm or an association of persons or a company holding national tax number and sales tax registration, if applicable, in the name of the business concern.
- The applicant’s business fits within the defined business scope or area of jurisdiction of Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad or any other city, where membership is required.
- The application for grant of membership shall be proposed and seconded by existing members of the chamber
- The applicant has no criminal conviction.
- The applicant shall duly fill the Membership Form and Signature / ID Card Form, available at chamber office.
- The membership form shall be proposed by one and seconded by the other existing valid members.
- The applicant shall attach the required documents with the membership form mentioned hereinafter.
- The submission of required fee via cheque (mentioned hereinafter) shall be made at the cash counter of chamber of commerce.
- The membership certificate should be collected in person by the applicant or in case of authorized representative an authority letter must be provided in the name of person authorized for collection of membership certificate on behalf of Proprietor / Partner / Director.
List of Documents Required for Chamber of Commerce Registration
Following is the list of documents required for membership registration with the chamber for Proprietorship, Partnership and Private Limited Company:
- Written application on business letter head addressed to the Secretary General LCCI/KCCI/ICCI/SCCI etc for grant of membership
- Completely filled in Membership Form and Signature / ID Card Form
- Photocopy of C.N.I.C of the Proprietor / Partners/ Directors
- Photocopy of Sales Tax Registration Certificate(if applicable)
- Photocopy of National Tax Number Certificate of the Proprietor / Partners/ Directors
- Original bank certificate in the name of business applied for membership.
- Copy of partnership deed executed on Rs.500/stamp paper duly attested by Notary Public (for partnership firm)
- Copy of Firm Registration Certificate issued by the Registrar of Firms (for partnership firm)
- Copy of memorandum and articles of association of the Company attested by SECP (for private limited company)
- Copy of Incorporation Certificate issued by Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan attested by SECP (for private limited company)
- Copy of Form-29 attested by SECP (for private limited company)
- Copy of a previous utility bill (gas/electricity/phone) paid from the business premises.
- Over writing or cutting in the Membership Form will not be acceptable.
- Signature of applicant on Membership Form should match with signature on CNIC.
Cancellation of Membership
Membership may be cancelled or disqualified, on the grounds provided under the trade organization’s memorandum and articles of association, if the member breaches any provision of the Trade Organizations Ordinance, 2007.
Renewal of Membership
The membership shall be renewable on annual basis subject to fulfillment of following conditions, namely:
- Payment of prescribed subscription within the time stipulated in the Memorandum and Articles of Association, which shall not be later than 31st March every year
- Proof of filing return of income tax and sales tax, if applicable, for the preceding year
Membership Fee of Chamber of Commerce in Pakistan
- For Lahore chamber of commerce (LCCI), membership fee for associate class is: Rs. 3,900 & for corporate class, it’s, Rs. 7,900
- For Karachi chamber of commerce (KCCI), membership fee is: Rs. 2,625
- For Quetta chamber of commerce (QCCI), membership fee is: 2,500
- For Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chamber of commerce (KPCCI), membership fee for associate class is Rs. 4,000 & for corporate class, it’s, Rs. 6,000
- For Sialkot chamber of commerce (SCCI), membership fee for associate class is: Rs. 3,170 & for corporate class, it’s, Rs. 4,800